Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ipsy :: April 2013

To round out my catch up on posts here is my April Ipsy Glam Bag review. You may notice I've completely skipped the March bag and that's because frankly I forgot, didn't photograph and the products were scattered to the four winds once I remember I hadn't reviewed them. From what I remember it contained only a teeny tiny eye shadow sample, a uselessly small empty compact for storing said teensy eyeshadow, tiny pack of face wipes, and a facial mist. The total value barely broke the $10 I paid and overall was very disappointing. It just didn't seem worth my ten dollars for almost no product. I also noticed that the colors of the eyeshadow were boring shades of blah browns and were barely pigmented (they are now in the trash).  This month Ipsy went with a Pretty in Pink theme and for the first time really I saw a beauty subscription really stick to its theme. The bag itself was a plain, cheap looking, asking for a stain, white with a pink zipper. The inside however was a little more exciting with pink and white strips and the Ipsy logo as pictured below.
Product List/Value for the month:
Station Nail Lacquer in Of Corset I'll Call You $5
Two Cosmetics eyeshadow duo in Heartache $5.75
Big Sexy Hair Powder Play approx. $2 (fl sz $15.95)
Be a Bombshell Blush in Sweet Cheeks $16
Total Bag Worth: approx. $28.75

 I fell a bit better this month over last month's disappoint in that there are three full sized products this time around. When I picked this up in the mailbox I was on my way to taking my husband to his workplace which is conveniently close to the beach :D I took the opportunity to photograph my products on said beach and since I had brought minimal makeup with me I went ahead and gave everything a test run. With the exception of the Big Sexy Hair powder I really liked everything I tried. I will try out the powder at a later date but I've heard good things about the brand and expect I will get on with it well enough.
Here is just a close up look at the pink products. The sun was bright so the colors are a little washed out on camera. The pink blush and eyeshadow are very pigmented and the blush in particular has a silvery shimmer.
 Here you can see a swatch of the Be A Bombshell blush in Sweet Cheeks which looks very pale and shimmery on my hand but on my cheeks the color is nice. My hand is a bit tanner than my face so it doesn't look as pale and the shimmer is more subtle than I though it would be but still detectable and nicely highlighty. I would say use a very light hand as well because this product is very pigmented and you can easily hit clown territory with it.
 Next is the Two Cosmetics eyeshadow duo in Heartache. Again the sunlight washes out the color and you can really only see the shimmer. These are very pink on the eye and I would suggest they be worn as an accent color because pink on the eyes can be tricky to pull of with out looking sickly. There is a look I like to do on my eyes when I really feel like playing with color where the inner half of my eyelid I will put a shimmery pink like this one and on the outer half of the lid I will blend into a forest green color. It has a neat affect and not as crazy looking as it sounds. It reminds me of macarons or some other sweet desert. Perhaps in the future I will do a tutorial or something. Anyways I think these pinks will work well with other colors but may not be best on their own.
And finally is this Station Nail Lacquer in Of Corset I'll Call You.......sheesh what a dumb name for such a boring polish. I know Essie comes of with similar cheeky names but at least they have an awesome color to back them up. This color is just blah....and it's the third such blah sheer pink that I've received. This polish took four thick coats to become opaque and even then its not a good look. Maybe it's just my skin tone and this kind of pale sheer pink just clashes. Either way I'm done with it. In the trash or to a friend it goes! Along with my other ones :D

And that's all for this post. Does anyone else subscribe to Ipsy and get anything different? Let me know what you think? Would you like a makeup tutorial? Love to hear from you, see ya later!

2 comments:

  1. I actually liked almost everything. I found that if I use my urban decay eye primer which is kind of a gold shimmer under the pink shimmer eye shadow it isn't as bad. I haven't used the hair powder either. Let me know if you like it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, gold would look really nice with this pink too. Still haven't tried the hair powder, just haven't seen the need for it yet. Maybe on a day I'm too lazy to wash my hair or something.

      Delete