Monday, December 17, 2012

Julep Maven Boho Glam Box :: December 2012

Howdy friends! Sorry this is a bit late but I've a super busy holiday season so far this month. I received my Julep Maven December Box in the first week of December and I was very pleased! This is only my second box but I have fallen in love with the brand. I've gotten some use out of both this month's colors and the November colors and I am super happy with their quality, application, staying power and all that jazz. If anyone is interested in joining Julep Maven click here take the style quiz, follow the instructions and you'll be signed up with this great program! Oh and if you would be so kind as to use my referral code I'd appreciate it! It's 6129970. If not that's OK too, as a Julep Maven member you earn points toward future purchases or boxes with things like sharing, gifting or getting referrals to sign up.

First I will give you my initial impressions on the December box and then at the end I will give you my over all opinions on last month's box since I've gotten more time to try everything out thoroughly.


 So here it is all opened up. It's so hard to keep everything together and untouched before I'm ready to photograph things!
 This is the backside of the little card that comes with just bits of information of the products or any additional instructions on the items that Julep feels necessary to include.

 So in the December box I've received two nail polishes, a warming foot scrub, a DIY ring thingy and an extra little peppermint :)
 The first color is this gorgeous holiday berry red with silvery glittery sparkles called Petra. Sooooo perfect for the holiday season! This color went on really nicely in just two coats and its just so pretty in person. I don't think the camera is doing it justice here. I did wear this color for about a week and I didn't have any major issues with chipping or anything. It stayed really nice for 5 or 6 days.
 This next polish is a chunky silver glitter called Jordan. Not as exciting to me as the other color because its nothing that unique. It actually is really similar to Essie Stroke of Brilliance which I already have in my collection. The only difference between the two is that the Essie color has a blueish tint and in the bottles they do look different but on the nail honestly you can barely tell the difference. Here I have painted one coat of glitter over Essie Licorice which is a plain black color just so you can see the glitter a bit better. My thumb I just used the Jordan alone for comparison. I did wind up using this as a glittery top coat color over last month's polish in Michelle which is a navy cream blue on my toes for a holiday party and it turned out really nice. Looked like starry night on my toes!
 Next we have a warming foot scrub. I haven't used a foot scrub since high school because usually I leave any kind of scrubs or foot treatments to my local nail salon. I don't usually tend to do them myself just because if I really want to relax bending over my own feet and scrubbing away in the shower isn't exactly luxurious to me. However, I gave this a whirl in the shower and it was nice but not spectacular. The 'warming sensation' lasts literally a second. You feel a quick flash of heat when it first contacts your wet skin but doesn't last at all. Then you are left with just a scrubby minty smelling lotion. It's not a particularly rough or abrasive scrub either, its pretty mild so don't expect to slough away any callouses or rough skin with this stuff. It's not terrible or anything, it smells nice and all and I've reached for it a few times in the shower so I will probably use it up but meh...not something I would purchase for myself again.

 Moving on we have a little create your own ring kit! Now at first when I took this out of the little baggy I was like, "Oh how nice a crappy broken freebie ring...woohoo" but then I found the little instruction note card that was floating around in the box and was like, "Coool! Art project!"
 Basically all you have to do is paint the flat side of the glass stone with whatever nail polish color you like, I chose the lovely red color they sent me and then once it dries you pop the stone in the setting and clamp down the little prongs to secure it. I suppose you could use some craft glue as well to really secure it but I just didn't have any on hand.
 And here it is all done! Kind of a pretty little costume piece.  It really shows off the glitter in the polish well. A cream polish would have been a bit boring.

 I guess that's all I have to say about this month's box! Overall I'm pretty pleased with Julep so far. It has definitely helped keep me from purchasing new polishes randomly which is awesome. Now when I got to the drugstore or mall and see pretty polishes I do find myself resisting the urge to purchase when I know a really cool box is in its way.
 Oh and as promised some final thoughts on my November box. I still love the colors a lot. Both of them lasted at least a week without chipping. I haven't touched the glitter pots since demonstrating them in my last Julep blog post and they will probably wind up in my craft drawer or I've had an idea about adding them to either a clear top coat polish to make a glittery topcoat or a cream polish to add sparkle to an otherwise boring non-shimmering color. And finally the cuticle oil I've used a few times to help remove polish from skin after I've painted my nails and let them dry. I jut roll the oil over spots and it helps loosen the dry polish from my skin so I can just rub it off. And that is it! Thanks for reading! I hope this was helpful and please leave any questions or comments below, I'd loooooove to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment