Monday, February 11, 2013

Julep :: February 2013


Hello Everyone and yay for February! Also yay for the first beauty box of the month from Julep! Wow this box is just packed with goodies. So excited when I first opened this up. Now unlike Glossybox and Ipsy you do get to see ahead of time what colors you are getting in you box and maybe a hint or two of what the extras will be. Even so it's still fun to open up and see what little extras they give you each month.
Eyelash Curler $?*

Total Bag Worth: approx. $64
*Item not listed for purchase on site.
First up is this lovely dusty cloud blue color called Julianne. This is such a cool color to me, I've seen powdery blues before but this one has a dusky greyish tint that is just so subtle but so unique. I also discovered that you can remove the outer cap so now the little swatch stickers they've stuck to the top of the lip make a little more sense. When I first saw the stickers I was annoyed that they had stuck one on for me but now I get it and I feel dumb...oh well!
The second color I received is Ingrid, a lovely burnt orange color. Also really different from a lot of other colors I've seen before and definitely more appealing than the orange I got last month which was a bright neon.

Next we have Julep's Oxygen Nail Treatment. The idea behind this is to left your nails breath in between manicures while still giving bare nails a nice look. I have a similar treatment from Essie that works just fine but I'm open to trying this one out as well. It would be nice if you could use this as a protective base coat but it's meant to be used alone.
Next we have the Julep Polymer Top Coat which promises to set under natural light in five minutes and give you the look and feel of a gel manicure. I gave this a try over my nails and it was nice enough however I don't think it lasted quite as long as my Essie Good to Go fast dry top coat nor did it dry and become smudgeproof as quickly as claimed. I think it took more like 30 minutes to cure rather than just 5 minutes. I will certainly be using this though as my Essie top coat is almost used up.
Finally I received as a bonus a cute little eyelash curler. I was really excited by this little extra because I've been wanting a small more travel friendly eyelash curler. I tried this out and welllll to be honest this isn't the best eyelash curler around. It didn't so much curl my lashes as give them a weird 90 degree bend. I experimented with it a bit and you really have to only put the slightest bit of pressure to get a curl. It's really easy to press too hard and give yourself a funky bent lash look. So I think it's useable if you work with it and will do for now but I think I might still keep my eyes out for an alternative soon.
Here I just wanted to show you guys how the nail treatment looks. Not very exciting, you could probably get a little more of a pink color if you did multiple layers but since the idea is to let your nails breathe that may be counterproductive. Actually I noticed while applying, that the sheer color is very close to the nail polish I got in my January Ipsy bag. Just a super sheer pale pink that is almost pointless to wear but at least with this one you are nourishing your nails.
For a more exciting swatch photo, here are the two colors I received this month. I have to say overall I am thrilled with this months box. The colors were awesome and go really nicely together since they are complimentary and both have that slightly dusky tint to them. The top coat and oxygen treatment are nice extras to further round out my growing Julep collection. All I really need now is a base coat from Julep and I'm set! The eyelash curler was a nice extra as well and while a bit fickle to work with still worth having.

Well I hope you all have an Awesome February and please let me know what you guys think of this months box! Also let me know what kinds of posts other than the beauty box reviews would be interesting to you and share with my your beauty favorites or subscription box reviews.

Let's be friends! See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment